Friday, February 23, 2007

The Office Wore Orchids

Orchid, Close-Up
Large view

One of our local business establishments was sporting these in its lobby, so I thought I'd have a little fun with it....

Orchid
Large view

At first I'd thought it was plastic. Then I touched it and realized it was the real thing. I'd been to the New England Flower Show several times, but this was the first time I'd really had a close encounter with an orchid. No wonder some folks are obsessed with them.

Orchid in Negative

In addition to reversing the colors, I fiddled with color, contrast, gamma, and various other effects, using MS Photo Editor. Then I further manipulated the negative image:

Psychedelic Orchid

Around 7:20 PM (EST) on February 20, I spotted Venus below the Moon. Venus is the single bright light about a third of the way up. An overexposed crescent moon, showing a bit of Earthshine and some high clouds (or a contrail), is up top. Photographed using a 4-second exposure at f/2.8.

Venus with Luna Chaser

The left-hand shot showing Earthshine was a 4-second exposure at f/4.5. The right-hand shot was a 1/30-second exposure at f/8.

Different Details

The following day, Mary and I spotted this Tri-colored Heron at the "post office pond."

Tri-Colored Heron

I used my 12x zoom for this photo. I've got a clearer shot of this species, taken from closer up, here, but this is the first time I'd seen a Tri-Colored heron in our neighborhood.

According to eNature.com, this bird, formerly called the Louisiana Heron, "is one of the most abundant herons in the Deep South. Although in the West it nests only in southern New Mexico, it is liable to turn up in late summer as far away as Arizona, California, Oregon, Colorado, and even Manitoba. The Tricolored Heron is extremely slender and moves gracefully as it searches about for frogs or fish. Despite its relatively small size, it forages in deep water; often its legs are completely underwater, and the bird appears to be swimming."


2 Comments:

Blogger Paul D. said...

Well give orchids a try. There are lots of good cultivars out there and reasonably priced. Also some orchids are pretty tough. I recommend Dendrobium as a good genus to start since they don't need as much humidity as the Phalanopsis in your pictures.

Since I tend to forget to water and my orchids go outside in Kansas summers they have to be tough.

3:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The photo is making my eyes water. Not because of pollen but because of its beauty.

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home