Sunday, July 09, 2006

It's Good Not To Be Alone

This morning I awoke with the thought, "I wonder what would happen if I Googled 'Thinkpad' and 'backlight'?" -- and soon learned that my problem is not at all uncommon. Who knew? Right now I'm thinking my problem is with the inverter, especially after reading this very enlightening post. Chances are that, if nothing else, attaching an external monitor (once I pick up the correct cable) will let me see what's happening.

I have downloaded the hardware manuals for both my current computer and the new one on order, and have printed the relevant pages (out of 180+) of the current computer manual, along with instructions for external monitor attachment.

Even if I can repair this machine, I'm glad I'm getting a backup, considering how computer-dependent my business is. Things got a little dicey yesterday when, after several non-problematic hours and as I was working on a spreadsheet, my screen started to flicker out. But it came back on (whew!). Since disconnecting my external hard drive requires certain steps so as not to corrupt the disk, I now have a piece of tape on which I've drawn an arrow, so that I know where to click on a darkened screen. And I wrote down the necessary keystrokes to allow me to disconnect the external drive blind.

I'd already backed up data files, but I hustled to back up program files and favorites, even though I knew most of the program files probably wouldn't be configured for the computer on order. Still, some of the smaller programs should transfer.

At least now I know I'm not alone.

[end of entry]

2 Comments:

Blogger Brenda Clews said...

It sounds nerve-wracking! And having to shut everything down blinded is something else. So far I've miraculously had the money, or access to it, and bought new computers before the old ones died. Irate, of course, that I was forced to do it by software companies, operating systems, the whole network that forces you to 'keep up.' So I haven't gone through this particular anguish (yet) but am in great sympathy. Hope you manage to get it fixed and have another computer to rely on as well!

2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I lost a bunch of stuff when I got a new hard drive, even though I thought I was backing stuff up. At least your camera is working ! I hope it all sorts out soon. To me, when my computer is down, it's like having my car break down and I can't go anywhere!

12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home