Tuesday, October 11, 2005

My Love Has Wings


Posted by Picasa
Mary reminded me that the reason she's looking down in this collage is because a wasp is on her hand, seeking moisture in the dry Arizona air....

I digitally clipped the wings off my shot of a blue corporal dragonfly and color-manipulated them, then used enlarged detail from a mixed-media piece of mine called "Organism". (I'd made "Organism" from a shell, feathers, shed cat fur, discarded cardboard tube, and leftover bathroom tile that would otherwise have gone in the trash.)

Finally, I liberated Mary from an overlook point at the Grand Canyon, where in 1998 we'd hiked Bright Angel Trail to Phantom Ranch at the bottom and climbed back to the South Rim the next day.


Posted by Picasa
I took the title from a poem recited during Star Trek's second pilot, "Where No Man Has Gone Before." The third episode aired, it had been the first one I'd seen back in 1966:

''My love has wings,
slender, feathered things
with grace in upswept curve and tapered tip.''
-- The Nightingale Woman

(Okay, so these wings aren't feathered. But still.)



1 Comments:

Blogger twila said...

Beautiful. Seems to capture her as you've described her here.

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home