Sunday, August 21, 2005

Kitty Heaven


Posted by Picasa
Every time I see one or both of our cats at the window, trembling with excitement and chittering at a bird outside, I get an image of them daydreaming about wearing wings and soaring off into the sky. I haven't yet been able to draw it to my satisfaction.

This comes close....

I photographed the cloud on Thursday as a typical Florida summer storm was building. All the cats here are different shots of Daisy; their wings are taken from the Devi in my studio.

The sun is a little mixed-media piece I did called Sun Goddess: sculpted, painted paper pulp ringed with shed cat fur (I've erased the fabric-covered wood block on which the face is mounted). I created the rays in Paint and smudged the larger forms in Photo Editor.

The temple, which I photographed in Garni, Armenia, had been built in tribute to an actual sun goddess named Mehezh. (My poem The Temple of the Sun-Goddess, Mehezh gives more detail.)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice. And funny. This is a drawing? It looks like collage.

9:21 AM  
Blogger Peggasus said...

Hi there. I came here from Twyla's.

Haven't you ever heard of the Catwings books?

Cats with wings! Their father was a 'fly-by-night.'

They are children's books, but they are also on my all-time favorite's list. And the pictures! You MUST get them!

1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home