Sunday, February 11, 2007

Dood!

Sharpie Doodle in Progress: Session #1

Ways of dealing with dial-up....

I recently splurged on a 24-pack of colored Sharpies. During my recent and ongoing studio clean-up, I cleared away some flat work space onto which I've placed a 22 x 30-inch sheet of watercolor paper, then put the pens next to it.

My computer is on dial-up, which means I often wait a while for my screen to load. I decided to fill some of that waiting time by doodling.

My first doodling session (above) measured roughly 5-1/2 x 6 inches. My doodles are improvisations, pure stream-of-visual with no advance planning. I remember doing similar drawings on the blackboard in grade school and feeling particularly adventurous when I had colored chalk to play with.

Sharpie Doodle in Progress: Session #2

The second installment had nothing to do with waiting through uploads. I was listening to late-night jazz, and fiddling with the markers proved a meditative exercise. The doodle now measures around 8 x 10 inches.

I'll post more updates as they happen. The Sharpies allow for some color-mixing, though I've done only a little bit of layering so far. I'm toying with the idea of slapping on some gloss medium and drawing over it to create more of a layered effect, but will do so first in a corner of the paper, away from the main design, to see if it works.

I spent half of last night marking up my printout of Book #2. Later today (after seeing Pygmalion at our community theatre) I'll input the changes and send off the file.

Heard back from one of the local papers so far, in response to my promotion of Nature Coast Performances: "We'll do our best to run it as space is available." Which is actually pretty cool, since I hadn't sent my message as a press release but as a way for the papers to log in to learn of any events they might not have heard about. I figure it can work two ways: I've gotten information from them that I've put on the calendar, but my calendar has entries I haven't seen in the papers.


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay! Now I get it. Dude spelled with a doodle! I make the best dudles while talking on the phone to my sons.

9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home