Friday, July 01, 2005

A Brief Introduction

This blog was inspired by John Cotey's online chronicle, "The Skinny." Left a comment, became a blogger. I intend to be back from time to time.

Some of the vital stats:

I live in central Florida -- moved from Boston in 2003 after 20 years in Massachusetts. The weather's different down here. Originally I'm a Brooklyn gal. I acclimated to the heat & humidity more quickly than I'd expected -- we don't have heat islands around here (yet) and between the breezes and the greenery my walks in 90-plus degrees can actually be pleasant. Having ibises instead of pigeons helps, too.

I'm a baby boomer on the younger side of that demographic. My first political memory is being prompted by my parents to chant, "Shut up, Nixon," at our black-and-white dinette TV during the Nixon-Kennedy debate. I consider myself an Independent.

I've run a communications business (# employees=1) since 1988 but creative writing is my true love. I've had some success at it, mostly with publications in the small press. But I've also been published in Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine, Amazing Stories, and the first Full Spectrum anthology (Bantam Books). Most of those stories (and poetry) date from the 80s -- during the 90s I was working multiple shifts ("day job" plus freelance -- "day job" sometimes meant 16-hour days and I've experienced a 103-hour work week that I'd rather not repeat). Add in various family crises and my Muse went south.

So I moved south. We've had a very happy reunion!

I've been getting back in the groove -- have won some prizes for poetry in various state contests and those given by the National Federation of State Poetry Societies. I've been published in the 2004 and 2005 We'Moon calendars. And I'm currently trying to sell a trilogy.

Update, 22 August 2007: Covenant, the first volume in my Deviations series, is now available from Aisling Press. More details are on my Deviations page.

Various forays into mixed-media art saved my sanity when I couldn't write; some folks actually found that artwork worth buying and I've exhibited in small galleries in the Boston area and down here.

I'm married, in every sense but legal, to a wonderful woman with whom I'll celebrate our tenth anniversary later this year. An earlier, "traditional" marriage was one of those "learning experiences." I look at the person, not the gender; I've found a good person this time. We serve the needs and whims of two senior cats who make sure to keep us in line.

Thanks for stopping by and have a happy Fourth. Time for me to finish polishing my synopsis....




3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my,
it started out innocently enuf,
i lurked around col's site the past few weeks while she was in MA.
then i commented a few times, then yesterday i followed a few links and commented some more,
now after reading your comment on looseleaf i linked to your site and read how you became a blogger,
could it be happening to me too?
i've teased col about the pseudo addiction to the pleasure she gives & receives via virtual connections. now i gotta choose whether to take another link or not as i see where it may lead....wanting more.
cuz i thoroughly enjoyed my visit to your site. the sense of recognizing a kindred soul...merely by perceiving digital images of word and mood and honesty. well it's obvious why i got attracted to col. (she's the wonderful person i'm marrying with these past 234 moons) writer's rock! anyway, i feel self conscious about leaving such wordy comments. so i'll close and say i'll look for your writing in col's we'moon later.

10:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to read this. I had been trying for weeks to click on the spot over the clock and it did nothing. And today after joeyk told me he went to your site...it's working. Did he open the door to the way there? Anyways, I feel good to know more about you...and hey I'll have to get my Wemoon out and look you up! I've had very good luck being published in over the years. Happy to be in touch. JoeyK is only a few degrees away from getting his own blog. He's getting a following at mine, I think.

11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS I'm going to send him to your post and poem about Helen. He will love it, as I did!

11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home