Thursday, October 06, 2005

When a Grasshopper Contemplates


Posted by Picasa
I broke from transcribing for my post office walk and found a point of meditation....

About an hour before sunset I keyed open my PO Box. Pulled out the water bill, bank statement, catalogues. The service desk was closed; I was the only one inside.

I brought my pile to a large gray counter set by a plate glass window, where the grasshopper caught my eye. I gazed on its underside, and the sky beyond, and whipped out the camera that I now carry with me almost every time I leave the house. Snapped a shot through the glass.


Posted by Picasa
Then I left everything but the camera on the counter and rushed outside.

I have not seen any lubbers this year; instead I've seen these fellows. If/when the lubbers return I will do my best to get a shot of one that really shows off its carapace, because they are downright psychedelic.

But there is beauty in just plain green, too.

(After-post addition: The photo up top has been chosen for the Green is Beautiful group blog. I've recently joined and am experiencing the joys of Flickr.)


3 Comments:

Blogger twila said...

That top photo is amazing! I'm not surprised it was chosen.

8:41 AM  
Blogger Patry Francis said...

I love to think of grasshoppers in contemplation! THank you for this. I'll never look at an idle grasshopper quite the same.

10:14 PM  
Blogger wilburlikesmith said...

Interesting..

I am down right scared of grasshoppers. They are to random and have no sense of direction. Never know when they just shoot right at you. I found you blog because I was searching for the website page I've been working on where I uploaded somebody elses grasshopper. I wrote funny text because it was a demo page in progress and there wasn't any other content that I could add.

The top phot is good, and if it is a photo it's so good I fail to believe that photoshop wasn't involved.

Anyway, I like your writing style so I'll go read some more...

http://www.friedorscrambled.blogspot.com

4:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home